Monday, September 3, 2012

Backstreet's Back

Thanks to the encouragement of Jorge, one of my best friends and the man that I would marry if he were at all sexually interested in my gender, I'm revisiting the blogging world.

So it's been a year and a half

and if you're in the loop, you know that its been quite the roller coaster.

if you're not,  don't worry cause I'll fill in the gaps eventually.

For now: my name is Sarah, I'm 19 years old, and I attend DePaul University in Chicago.

If you previously read this blog, you might have noticed that I changed the name.
It used to be titled "Keep Calm and Carry On" after the war morale campaign in the UK at the beginning of WWII. Citizens of the United Kingdom lived in daily fear of strategic bombing in their own backyard. In order to deal with the civil crisis caused by living in a war zone, the Government used this motto to unite the people psychologically so that they could survive physically.

Similarly, September 11, 2001 was an incredibly traumatic experience for the United States of America. With nearly 3,000 direct victims and every American citizen effected by the loss of loved ones or fellow patriots, 9/11 has been recorded as one of the greatest wartime tragedies in the USA.

9/11 is also the closest thing that present day Americans have to experiencing a war fought on our turf. I'm not arguing that 9/11 wasn't horrifying, but I don't think Americans will ever understand what it's like to have your country turned into an international battleground for an extended period of time. We have experienced great loss of life in conflict over the past 150 years, but Americans that were born later than the Civil War do not understand what it is like to have your homeland torn apart by war.

Raised by an emphatically English mother, uprooted from her homeland and relocated in a country that  will never live up to The Queen's standards, we are well versed and almost obsessive about all things British. Unfortunately, since the conception of this blog, variations of "Keep Calm and Carry On" have turned into the hottest teen trend since YOLO, diminishing the uniting power of the original motto. (See visual aids below)



So even though it is not my place to criticize pop culture, considering I'm listening to Taylor Swift's new catchy single as I write this, I have always maintained that my blog is where my opinons don't have to make sense or align with any sort of image that I'm trying to upkeep. 
 

I have renamed the blog "All Things Go, All Things Go" after lyrics from the Sufjan Stevens song "Chicago." I felt that it was appropriate because Chicago is the greatest city in the world and Sufjan is one of the greatest musicians to come out of this concrete jungle. 

Stick with me, and I promise to bring full disclosure to this relationship. 
Or just kind of skim this once and move on to Pinterest. 

I'm clearly writing for an audience, otherwise I would keep a private journal as opposed to a public blog. However, this does function as a place for me to organize my thoughts and therapeutically deal with my demons so to speak. If no one reads this anymore, then thus is life.